questions regarding Monte Carlo data in the class "TBLEvent"

From: Aaron Joseph Maschinot (ajmasch@MIT.EDU)
Date: Thu Aug 30 2001 - 14:33:28 EDT

Hello:

In the class "TBLEvent", there is a structure (appropriately called
MonteCarlo) set up to hold Monte Carlo data.

1) Does the data within this structure hold the Monte Carlo data given to
create the Event? That is, if I use GEANT to create some electrons and
track their trajectories, can I then access the Monte Carlo vertex and
momentum data by simply examining event.mc[i].MCxo, etc.? Or does this
Monte Carlo data correspond to something else?

2) If 1) is true, then why is there an ARRAY (instead of a single value)
for the "mc" member variable located in the TBLEvent class? Am I wrong in
thinking that each event should only have one (unique) Monte Carlo set of
data? The mc array runs up to 5. Does this mean that for some reason we
should expect up to 5 Monte Carlo sets of data for each event? That
doesn't make sense to me. I do note, however, that the simpleRecon.cc
program only ever accesses the zeroth member of this array.

3) When you examine the member function TBLEvent::ReadNext, you see a
little section of it dedicated to reading in the Monte Carlo data from the
coda file, I presume. However, while I see where it reads in the p,
theta, phi, and zo values for that particular Monte Carlo data set, I do
not see where it reads in the corresponding x0 and y0 values. Do these
values get read in somewhere? There are variables defined to hold them in
TBLEvent.h (namely event.mc[i].x0 and event.mc[i].yo). If these variables
do not end up getting read into the mc[i] structure, then does that mean
that the corresponding z0 value that IS read in is 1) the actual Monte
Carlo z0 value or 2) the z0 corresponding to the point of closest approach
to the z-axis of the actual Monte Carlo data set?

I hope this isn't too confusing.

Thank you,

Aaron