More on CVS

From: Maurik Holtrop (maurik@improv.unh.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 11:56:16 EDT

Dear Blasters,

*PLEASE READ THIS IF YOU USE CVS, THIS MEANS YOU !*

(sorry, but I don't want you to miss this one.)

I would like to point out a few quick things about CVS to make it more
manageable.

1) First, NEVER, (ok rarely), go into the /home/blast/cvsroot directory
and delete files! This is almost never necessary. If you want to get rid
of a file in a directory you want to issue these commands in YOUR copy
of the directory:
rm filename
cvs remove filename
cvs commit -m "I removed filename, it is replaced with newfile"

This has the same effect, but keeps the history of the file intact.
When you add a new directory to CVS, it is possible to not add all the
files in it. The easiest way to accomplish this is of course to delete
the files before adding the dir.

2) File permissions:
   When new files are added to CVS, the systems seems to give these
files your default file permissions. (There is probably a fancy way to
fix this automatically, but I don't know it yet...) Please, if you added
a directory to the CVS tree, go to /home/blast/cvsroot and "chmod 777
dir"

Some CVS magic:

3) I added some convenient "module" logocal names to the CVS system. To
get ALL the software in the CVS repository do:
"cvs checkout BlastAll"
To get only the core files:
"cvs checkout BlastCore"
If you add a directory to the top level, please let me know if you would
like it to be added to the "core", or to some other logical name.

4) I also added a little trick that causes CVS to email to some people
whenever somebody commits a new file (which is why I know Ed has been
really active.) Email me if you want to be added to the list.

Cheers,
        Maurik