MySQL database

From: Adrian T Sindile (asindile@cisunix.unh.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 02:50:33 EDT

Hi, everybody!
I am pleased to announce that we have a brand new MySQL database for
BLAST - it follows the rules of DB design and it should protect us from
getting in trouble by overwriting fields in tables etc.
The database as it is now does not take care of the recoil detectors,
which have a separate data aquisition system and should be easy to add
later. It is also not "populated" yet - we need to fill it with all the
numbers we have for voltages, crates, slots etc.
I am aware of the fact that people will have comments and probably ask for
modifications - I will gladly do that whenever (really) needed.

If you want to see the new database, just type "mysql" on a BLAST machine,
and at the mysql prompt type "show databases;", then "use BLAST;".
You can see all the tables in it by typing "show tables;" afterwards.
To check the definition od a table, just type "desc name_of_table;"
- (every MySQL command ends with ";")!

The old "databases" and tables are still there - they have been a nice
tool for learning.
The "process" table from the old "status" database will still be used, as
it is not related at all to anything else - it just identifies the
processes accessing MySQL.

As I said, I know this is not final yet - I am waiting for comments!
Cheers!

Adrian

Adrian Sindile
Research Assistant