my "farewell" to Bates Lab - Hello to BLAST collaboration

From: Timothy Smith (tim_smith@mit.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 15:37:41 EDT

Hello BLASTers,

        As most of you know by now, I am leaving Bates to go to
Dartmouth College. So I am emailing you to tell you how to contact
me, as well as listing some unfinished work.

        My last day physically at Bates is July 26. I will be working
remotely from Dartmouth July 29 - August 5, work approximately
every other day. You can email me still at tim_smith@mit.edu .
>From August 6 - August 21 I'll be in Colorado - and beyond email. After
that, and to the end of August I'll be online every other day.

        Starting in September I am planning to be at Bates two days every
other week, as well as being online all the time.

        When I am established at Dartmouth I'll send my phone number and
email address to BlastTalk. But tim_smith@mit.edu will continue to work.

        In the future I will still be leading the BLAST software effort,
especially the long range development work. But Tancredi has already
taken the lead in much of the day-to-day work (and next week Karen is
back - all rested and refreshed). So if you question needs an answer
in the next hour, ask Tancredi or Karen. If you need it in the
next two days - email it to me.

Unfinished work
_______________

1) automatic running

        We would some day like to have the high voltage and the ring
filling tied together. Shannon Krause is have the accelerator side
of the problem worked on. We will then try to tie this to our HV.
I think this should be done during one of those two day periods that
I am here. A special software commissioning shifts.

2) writing ntuples to files

        In the this phase of commissioning we are not really reconstructing
events, and ntuples are perfectly reasonable. We can simplify our
lives by making a "standard" ntuple, writing it to the directory:

        /net/data/1/Analysis/commis/

on the spuds. This needs to be done only once. Since we can chain together
many ntuple files, we should have a one-to-one relationship between
raw data files and ntuple files. More work on this.

3) analysis / cleaning up phase1

        I started working on cleaning up the ~blast/commis/phase1 directory.
Work needs to continue here. Even when we move into phase2 - the wire
chambers, the macros written for phase one become a diagnostic of the
system. (Think of the PMT histograms for the last run overlayed on top
of the same histograms for a golden run).

4) blast account / your account

        As some of you may have noticed, the user=blast account has
been disabled on most machines. We have been trying (for 3 years now)
to remove the "group" accounts for Internet access. Therefore the blast
account - which is the online account - is restricted to the online
computers: dblast07, dblast08, dblast09, dblast10, dblast12. You
should use it when you are on shift. The standard ntuple files can
be made by blast. But do you development work, and your analysis
in your own directory. I know this is work, but it is the only way
we can keep track of what works, and what is development.

Finally
_______

                I know I am not leaving the collaboration,
                And you will still see a lot of me,
                But I just wanted to tell everyone that I
                have enjoyed my time at Bates, and being
                the software BLASTer.

                                                Tim Smith

 Timothy Paul Smith Research Scientist
 MIT Bates Lab tim_smith@mit.edu