[BLASTTALK] 8/5/02 ABS tune-up/commissioning

From: Hauke Kolster (hauke@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 23:34:30 EDT

        ABS tune-up / commissioning
        ---------------------------

  Status August 5, 2002, 4pm

Today we were able to turn on most of the crucial components
of the ABS and do a measurement of the degree of dissociation
out of the dissociator through the first sixpole chamber into
the QMA with the new and modified setup. All components for
vacuum, dissociator and detector are functioning well and we
have a good lock in the lock-in amplifier for the amu 1 and
amu 2 signals.
Until 4pm today we took first measurements of the degree of
dissociation at 100K nozzle temperature at 40 sccm and an
admixture of oxygen of 0.5%. We measured the degree of
dissociation with an absolute calibration at different RF power
levels between 30W and 180W and found values of up to 66%.
This is a very good and smooth start if one looks at all the
changes and modification we have made to the system and the few
days it took us to get everything started.

At this point I would like to thank everyone who helped in
the project to reach this important milestone and hope that
we can continue on this path during the following weeks of ABS
commissioning.

We will continue with the shift schedule from now on and start
mapping out the dependence on gas flow, nozzle temperature, and
RF power.

Hauke