[BLAST_ANAWARE] Monte Carlo users: please read this!

From: Aaron Joseph Maschinot (ajmasch@MIT.EDU)
Date: Sat Aug 10 2002 - 14:40:14 EDT

READ ALL OF THIS MESSAGE OR ELSE NEW MONTE CARLO CVS's MIGHT NOT WORK!!!!

Hello, all Monte Carlo users:

During my trials with the BLAST Monte Carlo, it became evident to me that
many fort file commands were either obsolete or else didn't do what I
thought they did.

As such, I created a "master" fort file to run the Monte Carlo. It is
named "fort.99" and is checked into the BLAST CVS repository inside of the
Blast_Params directory. I suggest that everyone who uses the Monte Carlo
look at it and, if need be, use it to model their own fort files after.

The fort.99 file explains EVERY applicable fort command in gory detail
(it's 800 lines long!), including all options, parameters, and units. In
addition to the existing fort commands, some new ones have been added,
some have been corrected, and some have been changed (though very few; I
strived to maintain compatibility with the older versions).

The fort.99 file is very readable. And, as I said, it explains every fort
file nuance I could think of. All Monte Carlo users need to look at it
before CVSing out a new blastmc directory. Your old fort files may not
work exactly as they did. In particular, the WTDC command has a slightly
different format (the new format is much more common-sense and
adaptable and well explained in the fort.99 file).

Please look at the fort.99 file. I think it will simplify the Monte Carlo
tremendously. I hope...

Aaron