branching of libBlast,blastmc--8:00 am monday

From: Chris Crawford (chris2@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 11:49:11 EDT

  per our discussion at the software meeting yesterday, we will be
branch off the current semi-stable version of BlastLib2 and blastlib, so
that aaron can lead us towards a new version with the final geometry,
etc.

  details: on monday 8:00 am, i will make a branch tag "v2" on the
BlastLib2, blastmc, and Blast_Params directories. with the command
             cvs tag -b v2 blastmc BlastLib2 Blast_Params
try to check in any of your stable changes before this time to avoid
merging issues. after that, for each working copy of the source, will
need to decide between:
  a) keep your source in the head branch (new geometries, still
unstable). this is what will happen if you don't do anything.
  b) switch over to the stable branch. before checking in your next
changes, enter the command
             cvs up -r v2 blastmc BlastLib2 Blast_Params
from the root of your working copy. if you do a 'cvs log' you will see
'v2' listed as sticky tag confirming you are on the stable branch. as
usual, you will not loose any changes. you will now be able to submit
bugfixes to the stable branch.

  note: you should also merge bugfixes into the head branch, if
applicable. if that source file hasn't been mangled too much around
your fix, then you can do this automatically. in a (possibly different)
working copy, update to the head version
             cvs up -A file
and then merge in the bug fix with the command
             cvs up -j v2:yesterday -j v2 file
finally check in the merged version (once you see it actually worked)
             cvs ci -m "merged bugfix" file

  finally: i realize this is the first time we have done this, and it is
confusing, so i will be glad to help you get set up. also, you can
refer to this excellent documentation on branches:
             http://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs_5.html

--chris