Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] cvs is not working again

From: Simon Sirca (sirca@crex.fiz.uni-lj.si)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 02:59:27 EDT

Hi,

In light of recent mishaps at using CVS, may I suggest to try to
avoid too many branchings and version book-keeping since ideed it
can be confusing and counter-productive. From my previous experience
with CVS I learned that having a stable version and one or more
branched developement version can lead to stagnation of the former
and confusion in the latter. Perhaps it is therefore even better
to keep a very dynamical version in the repository so that people
acquire the habit of refreshing their local copies before their
morning coffee.

As far as labeling CVS as a "complete disaster", I can only say that
CVS can be turned into a disaster only by ignorance and inattention
to detail, and by amazing and disappointing unwillingness to learn.
As one of the people who have strived to introduce CVS and related
mechanisms to simplify BLAST code development and maintenance, I feel
bitter at such remarks.

Simon

--
  Simon Sirca
  Dept of Physics, University of Ljubljana   Tel: +386 1 4766-574