Regard to the memory leak in BlastLib2

From: zhangchi (zhangchi@general.lns.mit.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 16:10:00 EDT

Hi everyone,

Last Thursday, after my computer started to swap, I decided that I wanted
to do something about the resource leak in BlastLib2. There were a lot of
memory blocks allocated by new yet not released by delete.

Here are a few things I did:

1. I wrote destructors for a few classes to delete the heap objects.

2. Especially I wrote a destructor for TEventDisplay in nsed.cc. used
auto_ptr in some places to return memory after exiting.

3. I added private copy constructor and assignment operator = to some of
the classes. This will forbid a few things:
        copy: T t1; T t2(t1);
        assign: T t1; T t2=t1;
        pass by value: f(T t); must use: f(T& t) of f (T* t)

the 3rd one may affect some codes you wrote. For instance constructors of
TBLDetRecon and TBLScRecon are slightly modified.

So far, except for a few TFiles and histograms in TBLFitTrack and
TBLDetRecon, all objects located on heap by new are removed using delete.

Since the changes involve memory manipulation, if the code crashed by any
chance, please let me know, and I am more than willing to debug with you.

By the way, please please do not write statements like this anymore:

  fCheckAnal[5] = new TGCheckButton(fG2, new TGHotString("Stubs"), -1);

the TGHotString is doomed to be a memory leak, it does not give anyone any
chance. At least, we should leave a handle such that delete could be used
safely later.

Unfortunately, I could not make it to the meeting tomorrow.