Re: [BLAST_SHIFTS] 10/03/02, morning shift

From: Karen Dow (kdow@mit.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 03 2002 - 10:56:07 EDT

        The names for the ABS holding field correction coils are LSVIT1
(upstream) and LSVIT2 (downstream). There's already an EPICS screen for
them, made by Gino Foti.

        I checked the remnant field in the upstream steering coil (because it
was easier to reach); around 30G horizontal where the poletip meets the
beam pipe. Looks like the coil is about 20cm long, so the field
integral is about 600G-cm. That would bend a 10MeV electron about 1
degree, I think, if I didn't slip a digit or two. If the electron is
already off the centerline, maybe 1 degree is enough to crash it into
the pipe and make a particle that gets to a TOF. Seems like a big IF,
though.

        Just to cover all bases, I'm trying to null the remnant field in both
coils. Right now there's a problem controlling these coils (set current
and readback don't agree). Hopefully this can be done by the end of
today.

NOTE: A current of around 1A (hard to tell with the set/readback
problem). gave a poletip field in the neighborhood of 500G. But you
won't need much current to null the remnant field.

                                        Karen