[BLAST_ANAWARE] proposed "new" blast.geom file and format

From: Aaron Joseph Maschinot (ajmasch@MIT.EDU)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 09:26:18 EDT

Anyone interested in the blast reconstruction library NEEDS to read this
letter, not just the first line.

I have attached a "proposed" new blast.geom file and format. It is fairly
well documented and contains all the geometrically-pertinent variables for
all of the detectors in BLAST (except for the lead glass calorimeters,
which I am still working on at present).

Anyone who will be using the reconstruction library should take a look at
it. MUCH has changed since the last blast.geom format. Specifically, if
you are an "expert" of one of the detectors, you should read over your
detector's portion of the blast.geom file. Check anything and everything.

In my opinion, reformatting the detector geometry portion of the BlastLib
library is too important for one person to handle alone. As such, I am
openly asking for others comments and suggestions on this file. Once
completed and implemented in the Blast classes, changes will be nearly
IMPOSSIBLE (well, hardly at least than I will be willing to make). So
please read over the file and let me know.

If you are not familiar with the overall geometry variable format (i.e.
what the "six degrees of freedom" concept is for a detector), then read
over the attached blastGeom.ps file, which I handed out at the software
meeting a month ago or so.

Aaron