[BLAST_SHIFTS] copying to spuds etc

From: Simon Sirca (sirca@crex.fiz.uni-lj.si)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 06:29:01 EST

TB wrote:

> Also, the data was automatically transferred to spuds. We can not avoid
> overwriting with scp because we want to keep updating files for the
> online analysis. Hence, runs 2330-2345 were also lost on the spuds.

There are several ways to avoids mishaps like this. Already during
the OOPS runs, we had a relatively simple, yet bullet-proof way
of transferring run files between machines immediately after
data acquisition was stopped. It went something like the xfer.sh
which I attach. Checking of whether a given run was copied was done
through dummy .copied files for each run, but can be done smarter.
(The manual management of the run list can be automated.)
We had this running in the background for weeks on end without failure.

Even more obvious to me would be the use of rsync which can be forced
to use ssh and made to respect almost arbitrary update criteria on
the remote host(s). The only problem could be the automatic
authentication as it is possible with ssh.

Simon

--
  Simon Sirca
  Dept of Physics, University of Ljubljana   Tel: +386 1 4766-574