[BLAST_ANAWARE] On the point of 2-3 vs. 1-2 transitions

From: Vitaliy Ziskin (vziskin@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 19 2002 - 02:43:35 EST

This message is a on the subject of the discussion

that we are having about mft making something other

than 2-3 transition. I did some calculations.

With the frequency we are running at, 60 MHz the magnetic

fields for 2-3 and 1-2 transitions are 40 Gauss and 44 Gauss

respectively. The gradient field was measured at 5 Amps to

be 2 Gauss/cm. We are running at -3 Amps. Thus, assuming

linear dependence, which is ok at this low field (well below

the saturation) our gradient is -1.2 Gauss/cm. The size of the

RF coil is about 5 cm. I'm neglecting the gradient due to the

BLAST field, since the effect of the absolute size of the BLAST

field is pretty low. If in fact this is true than

what we have is 1 <-> 2 transition first and then 2 <-> 3.

And this is probably what Hauke meant by saying

"I have already tuned the MFT 12-23 transition" in his

departing e-mail. This means that at the end (after

the last 6-pole magnet) we have (n2,0,0,0) which is fully polarized.

One could try to run a 2 <-> 3 transition by reversing the

gradient field and making it smaller (to make sure we don't run into

the 1 <-> 2 transition at larger field). This is risky though since we can

not tell if we run into the 1 <-> 2 transition.

According to the scheme we are running right now there should be no state-2

in the target. It would be purely speculative on my part but if we have bad

focusing in the to 6-pole (low flux into the target) then maybe we don't reject

all states-3 and by doing 2 <-> 3 in the MFT we actualy still have some state-2

at the end. But this is just speculation, in case we see better asymmetry

(or any) with lower target field value.

                                Cheers, Vitaliy

Vitaliy Ziskin Tel: (617)253-9209
MIT 26-547 http://www.lns.mit.edu/people/vziskin/
77 Massachusetts Ave
Cambridge, Ma
02139
        "For long you live and high you fly
         And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
         And all you touch and all you see
         Is all your life will ever be"--Pink Floyd