Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] phi branch point

From: Aaron Joseph Maschinot (ajmasch@MIT.EDU)
Date: Thu Apr 03 2003 - 11:45:23 EST

hello:

  i agree with doug and michael. for those of you who weren't at the
analysis meeting yesterday, it was pointed out that all results that the
non-BLAST world will see will be shown with the [0, 360] convention.
additionally, all results gotten from the non-BLAST world (in particular,
results received from arenhovel) will be in the [0, 360] convention.

so, to summarize:

  pro's of using [-90, 270] convention:
    1) one less constraint has to be typed in in order to make plots
       "pretty"
    2) one less line of code has to be typed in in order to perform
       azimuthal averages properly

  con's of using [-90, 270] convention:
    1) despite the intuitive feel that all existing code should NOT need
       to be altered for this new convention, all existing code WILL still
       have to be checked; in particular, i can say for SURE that some of
       the monte Carlo code will HAVE to be changed, despite an intuitive
       feel that it shouldn't
    2) this convention does not agree with what the non-BLAST world
       understands readily, and results shown to and received from the
       non-BLAST world will have to be altered
    3) this convention is yet (another) esoteric concept that we would all
       have to carry around, as it goes against the spherical angle ranges
       that we have all known since 10th grade

but i may be wrong. however, i am not wrong when i say that whatever
angle range convention is adopted, IT MUST BE ADOPTED EVERYWHERE
THROUGHOUT THE RECONSTRUCTION, THE MONTE CARLO, AND blast.geom. yup,
gotta put my foot down on that one...

aaron