[BLAST_TOF] TOF gain-tuning

From: Adrian T Sindile (asindile@cisunix.unh.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 22:10:19 EDT

Hi!
I think the TOF gain-tuning is done. There is just a little difference in
the results produced by my "TOF gain history" macro (comparing runs) and
the macro Pete wrote recently to look at gains for only one run.
While the two macros agree totally on pedestal values and almost all
Landau-fitted-pedestal-subtracted gains, 6 out of the 64 gains are not
very close. It could be due to a slightly different way of fitting.
If Pete's macro is correct, we are already within 200 channels for all
PMTs (10%). If my fit method is more accurate, 6 channels could still be
improved. Today I used Pete's macro for checking one run at a time (it's
faster to look just at one run) and only in the end did I use my macro.
It was too late to do more tweaking, Tavi had taken over by then. There is
no obvious error in either code...

Anyway, flasher runs 23 and 34 were taken before and after the
gain-tuning.

Cosmic runs 27, 28, 29 and 36 were taken and HV adjusted between them. Run
36 is the last one I took (could be a future reference).
I have a new .sql file with the latest modifications. It is under
/commis/hv/ and it's called pro2003_NC_TOF_CC_1300.sql... If people want
to get back to what we had before, they should just use an older .sql
file.

Plots are in both the trigger and the commissioning (# 6) logbook. Some of
the channels needed a big HV change (they had had light leaks and the
pedestals were messed up in November).
I expect a few channels to be out of timing now (probably just a couple
of them). I did not have the time to check the two flasher runs I took.
This should be the next thing, and delays should be adjusted as/if needed.
Because people want to start testing the detector next week, this timing
checkup should also be our next thing to do.

If those 6 channels need more tweaking, I do not expect that tweaking to
change the timing anymore (they are close to the acceptability limit). So
I will simply do it on the fly at some later point (if indeed needed).

Cheers!

Adrian

Adrian Sindile
Research Assistant