Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] GCC-3.2

From: Frederick Tong-Uk Lee (tong@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 18:17:54 EDT

    Hi,

In order to keep the current gcc 2.96 intact, we had to
compile the new version, and install it into none standard area.
We have ONLY installed c, c++ and
f77 (gcc version 3.4) in/usr/local/c++-3.2 directory.
If you need other compilers, such as ada, please let us know.

In order to use the latest gcc, you must follow the
below 3 steps:

1. you must add /usr/local/c++-3.2/lib to
both `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable and
`LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable.

2. You also add /usr/local/c++-3.2/bin to your
PATH environment variable.

3. You also need to use the
`-Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/c++-3.2/lib' in linking.

This is a temporary fix for some people who wants to use
new features in the lates version of gcc.
As we move to Redhat8.x or Redhat9.x, we do not have to
deal with extra flags and environment variables.
For example, in Redhat8.x, gcc 3.2 is installed as default
compiler and gcc 2.96 is installed with another name gcc296
and all the dynamic libraries relating gcc 2.96 has prefix
compat in order to avoid name confusion.

Please let us know if you have any problem.

Thanks,
-T