[BLAST_SHIFTS] B Shift and Compton Info

From: Bill Franklin (wafrankl@mit.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 17:42:16 EDT

Hall was open until 1:00 for work on ABS. During afternoon, beam was set
up for BLAST field off, transverse holding field off to look at
performance of new target cell. Beam current is presently limited to 30
mA. Plan is to go to BLAST field on tonight. If halo can be made low,
this could be raised to 50 mA.

Compton laser is on. Due to a problem with the laser hut door interlock,
we are requested to close the laser shutter during South Pole accesses.
Instructions will be made available for shift takers (TZ will pass along
to overnight tonight). Questions about this should be directed to me.

After a few suggestions by VZ, we are going to take another shot at
running with the Compton data included in the BLAST data stream. A new
version of the Compton analyzer (pol-control) has been set up in
/home/blast/blast/pro2003/COMPTON. We will try running this tonight (it
is set up on dblast09 at present). It is presently writing event files to
/scratch/dblast09/blast/comptondata and also broadcasting to BLAST event
stream. If problems are encountered overnight with CODA crashing, the
Compton program can be restarted overnight using "pol-control -et", which
will run polarimeter acquisition in stand alone mode. Although it may be
redundant, people on shift are requested to start and stop runs on Compton
acquisition in conjunction with BLAST runs.

Bill

Wilbur A. Franklin			*  Phone: 617-253-9518
Bates Linear Accelerator Center		*  FAX:	  617-253-9599
P.O. Box 846				*  Email: wafrankl@mit.edu
Middleton, MA 01949			*