[BLASTTALK] Ion polarimeter studies

From: Genya (evgeni@mit.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2003 - 22:34:11 EDT

    We were running ion polarimeter this night.
    We failed to detect the atoms in the ABS-filled cell, but the
results are not very conclusive as yet (see below).
    As we switched from unpol. system to ABS, the Ion Polarimeter
signal increased by about factor of 10 - clear confirmation that
unpol. gas misses the cell. Unfortunately, it reduces greatly the
credibility of H2/D2 calibration, since it was mostly sampled from
outside of the cell, which may affect energy distributions, trajectories
and so on.
   Secondly, the measured mass spectra depend on the current in the ring.
At least for the mesurements with unpol. system.
   Thirdly, something is unstable. We need normal Epics control of HV
channels, so we can put them on the graphs.

   In any case, we need more time to fine-tune the polarimeter, and we
need another run, with unpol. gas that is really inside the cell.
   So, my suggestion is to open the vacuum tomorrow and fix this tube,
and repeate the measurements. If we can get some normal control of HV
channels by then, it will be greatly appreciated.
    Genya