Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] blastmc : please help

From: zhangchi (zhangchi@general.lns.mit.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2003 - 12:05:01 EDT

Hi. I hope the following helps,

v3 bears not tag. it is only a way we call it as opposed to v2.

"cvs up" will give you "v3", or to be very sure, "cvs up -A" which means
go to the very very tip end of the repository, which is v3.

here is the structure of the repository:

-----------------------------------------------------------------(tip,"v3")
 \ \
  \ \(v2_96, the one in use now)
   \<----v2_18
    \
     \
      \--------------v2_19
       \
        (v2 and all those came it)

in the scheme above, we see that we "branched" off v2 at a certain point.
As a branch, it has its own tip so developement on it is possible.

along the way, we "tagged" v2_18. as a tag, it is just a snap shot of the
repository at a certain point. no changes is allowed to be checked back
into it. if you get v2_18 by cvs up -rv2_18 and then changed your local
copy. you will need to merge with v2 tip using: cvs up -rv2 and then you
are able to check you changes into v2 tip.

on v2 branch, we again "branched" off v2_19. it is a branch itself so it
can be changed independent of v2. if you compare tip of v2_19 and v2,
they are whole different things. in fact, v2_19 is branched off to be
clean up for the merge with new geometry, so it looks closer to v2_96
than to v2.

we also made v2_96 a branch such that bugs can be fixed as they are
spotted. in the end, we need to "merge" the changes we made on this branch
back into the tip when true "v3" is ready.

we should restrain ourselves from modifying v2 and v2_96 too much. Chris
and I spent two days last week to merge some two thousand or so
differences in two branches of CVS which were both heavily changed, one by
him and one by me. I sort of had enough with such kind of nightmare like
merging.

I found understanding these few concepts helped me a lot in getting
arround with our CVS. hope it would help you and others too.

For more and detailed, of course, the man/info pages. ^_^

Enjoy.