[BLAST_SHIFTS] Flasher trigger in physrun

From: Karen Dow (kdow@mit.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 16 2003 - 14:58:06 EDT

        See elog entries 553, 670. Flasher event is set up as trigger type 8,
uses 8th XMLU output bit, labeled FLASH on visual_scal.

        When I set it up 7/10, it worked, although I had to delay the 8th input to
the trigger supervisor (TS), in order for the flasher trigger to overlap
the Common Strobe (CS) input to the TS and have the flasher determine the
event timing for trigger type 8. The CS is given by the OR of TOF meantimes.

        Somehow, that delay is no longer needed. There were no type 8's being
triggered when I checked yesterday, although you could see the flasher rate
in the scalers. Looking on the scope today (at the level adapter before
the TS -- 8th output is flasher, 15th is CS), I removed the delay and the
flasher trigger now comes about 10ns after the CS opens. The flasher was
turned on and off towards the end of run 1477, and there are a few hundred
flasher events.

        We should now regularly include flasher data in all runs with the physrun
configuration, trigger physics.settings. This should happen automatically
if you turn on the flasher (click on the daisy in the toolbar on a dblast
computer, then click ON; the legend "Flasher Control" will go from red to
green). Turn the flasher OFF if we're not going to be taking data for 30
minutes or more.

        The flasher is running at about 8Hz. If there are no trigger type 8s in
the data, probably there is a problem with the flasher/CS overlap
again. Check with a scope if you see the flasher rate in the FLASH scaler,
but not in the data.

                                                Karen