[BLAST_SHIFTS] things that go bump in the night...

From: Kevin McIlhany (mcilhany@usna.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 21 2003 - 05:15:26 EDT

Two main issues:
1) There is a problem with e-log submission as one of the scripts ate
itself (cleanthis.bash). So, we do it the old fashioned way - via
email.
2) After CCR tuned up the beam (adding a horizontal bump of 0.4mm and a
vertical bump of 2mm in the target region), they turned the beam back
over to us. At this point, we realized that we had lost both the ABS
and the HV xterms on dblast07.
Investigation shows that at least one environmental variable as lost
related to Epics ($EPICS_DISPLAY_PATH) The ABS was brought back
without incident. After a trip to the D-tunnel, cycling the power on
the HV crates FAILED to resolve the problem, namely that the EPICS HV
control screen displayed information in contrast to the actual state of
the crates. A call was put into Doug Hasell who explained that this has
happened before and to fully cycle power on the HV crates (ie. turn them
off from the back and let them rest for a minute). After the first try,
two of the crates refused to make connections (right sector WC and left
sector TOFs) prompting a second try at a full power cycling. After this
time, all crates responded and we are back in business.
     Well... not quite.... after trying to start a run, we notice that
there are no scalers being reported although the HV is now behaving (it
shows trips and recoveries). A trip to the d-tunnel to reboot the
FASTBUS crate does not help.
Finally, a call to Karen Dow helps with her suggestion to try
"beamgate_on", which magically un-inhibits the datastream and we are
really back in business now.

-Kevin