[BLASTTALK] Ion Polarimeter story

From: Genya (evgeni@mit.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 05 2003 - 18:12:43 EDT

       Ion polarimetrer studies with a new cell started today. For the
first several
hours no ion signal was detected, and the feeling was that something is
wired
wrong inside the vacuum. However, later the signal was found with quite
unusual steering settings. I don't have a good explanation for that
other than
the lenses a located somewhat differently in the new cell frame, or may be
the whole assembly is located somewhat differently. Anyway, finally we've
got a very decent signal, and first (unconfirmed !!!) signa that the
recombination
might be really low.
       Even at this point we experienced difficulties with Lens3. It
was sparking
occasionally. And as we started the first real scan, the lense died for
good. Both
halves have now a few kOm resistance to the ground. So, we'll have to open
it tomorrow and fix this lense. Good part of the story is that we know
exactly
where the problem is, and have a good idea how to fix it.
   Genya