Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] mass

From: Peter Karpius (karpiusp@einstein.unh.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 15:56:01 EST

Hi Chi-

        Well maybe these plots are not impressive but I am still working
in a rough draft way just to get mass cuts. Anyway, I have skimmed some
D2 runs with the cuts:

-3 different tofs must fire (i.e. have good tdc)
-must have at least 3 tracks all w/chi^2 < 1
-must have at least two positive tracks in different groups

with these cuts I crunched about 7 runs at 500K each and retained about 70
events per run. I played with the binning and in two of the plots you can
see the proton, pion, and electron peak. I then rebinned again and found
that the proton peak became more defined while the pions and the electrons
merged. Anyway, it seems to work quite nicely. I am glad I tried to do
things myself (i.e. create my own mass function) though as it gave me a
great appreciation for what you have
done. (Good Job, I will use your function!) Anyway, thanks. Based on
these plots, I will choose to record events with the above cuts plus:

 - 2 independent positive tracks with (0.6 GeV < mass < 1.2 GeV)
 - at least 1 negative track with:
   (0.05 GeV < mass < .35 GeV) for pions
   (mass < 0.05 GeV) for electrons

Then I will place these into groups of either:

1: p, p, pi-
2: p, p, e-
3: p, e-, pi-

        as we will very likely lose either the e-, p, or pi- in our minute
coverage which is but a fraction of 4*Pi.

                                Pete

Pete Karpius
Graduate Research Assistant
email: karpiusp@einstein.unh.edu