[BLASTTALK] working on Blast from campus -- tired of waiting for those X-windows?

From: Chris Crawford (chris2@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 11:16:18 EST

Hi,
  I came across VNC, some software that significantly speeds up
X-connections over the network. Basically you run your own X-server
locally on blast05, and then just use an X-viewer on campus instead of
sending X packets accross the slow-t1 connection. To set it up, extract
the attached '.vnc.tgz' to your home directory on blast05, and follow
the few steps in the attached README file.
  If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.
--chris

steps for using VNC with the blast account:
localhost means your own machine, eg, on campus or laptop

* if you are on an LNS white machine, this step is already done.
  or some distros also come with 'vnc' already installed.
  or copy '/home/blast/chris2/{vncviewer,vncpasswd}' to localhost (redhat73)
  or as a last resort, compile 'vncviewer' (not server) on localhost:

> scp blast05:/scratch/blast05/chris2/archive/tightvnc-1.2.9_unixsrc.tar.bz2 .
> tar zxf tightvnc-1.2.9_unixsrc.tar.bz2
> cd vnc_unixsrc
> xmkmf
> make World
> su
> ./vncinstall /usr/local/bin /usr/local/man

* run 'vncpasswd' to setup your passwords, so you don't have to type them in
  all the time

> vncpasswd

  it will ask for a password, decline the optional view-only password

* execute the following command once to start the vnc server:
  - replace 999 with your own random server number
  - give 'vncpasswd' the same password as above
  - you may want to use different geometry settings

> ssh blast05
> tar zxf .vnc.tgz
> cd ../chris2/bin
> vncpasswd
> ./vncserver -kill :999
> ./vncserver :999 -depth 24 -geometry 1024x768'

* execute the following command on localhost everytime you want to connect:
  - replace 999 with your own random server number
  - you can omit the '-fullscreen' option
  - press F12 to exit the session, or F8 to toggle full-screen mode
  - you may want to alias this command!