Re: [BLAST_SHIFTS] [BLAST_ANAWARE] more deadtime

From: John Calarco (jrc@einstein.unh.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 05 2004 - 08:22:29 EST

Hi Richard,

I may be wrong, which is why I opened my comment with "Be careful." ...
meaning we need to think carefully to not make any mistakes. Unless I'm
wrong (which may be the case), PHYS0 contains the elastic as well as
quasielastic e,e'p. Thus a simple hardware AND of the CC takes the
last 4 TOFs out of the trigger which means we get no triggers for
elastic events in the last 4 TOFs, the high Q^2 region. It is possible
of course to work around this and have a hardware trigger of (any TOF
AND CC) OR (last 4 TOFs). This keeps the last 4 TOFs in the trigger,
but now I begin to worry about timing. For every logical operation,
we accumulate a delay of at least 10 ns in the trigger. If the 2
Boolean operations I just described have to be done sequentially, then
we have at least 20 ns delay in the trigger relative to the retiming
signal. At some point we run into trouble. Perhaps Karen or others
might wish to comment.

So, to reiterate, "Be careful." Any change in the trigger is possible
but MAY (repeat, MAY) have possible unforeseen consequences which have
to be assessed before making the change.

--
John R. Calarco
Dept. of Physics