Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] cpu power !

From: Chris Crawford (chris2@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 17:41:48 EDT

hi tancredi,

Tancredi Botto wrote:

>> we really need a local $ANALDIR with at least the 'flr' ntuples on
>>each of the buds. also could it be set up in the same place in each
>>bud, so that you can log into any machine with out changing the variable?
>>

>It could be done, but then again, even for the flr's alone that would
>multiply 15 G (the present size of all flr) x 24 of "mirrored" disk space
>while everything is already available on /net/data/4. what a waste !

i disagree. it would be a terrible waste not to use 15G/120G for local
data storage, both in terms of analysis time and network load. the
point is that analysis from ntuples is hightly i/o-intensive, and not
only do you face the network bandwidth vs. the local bus, but also
everyone who is using /net/data/4 has to wait in line for access to the
disk. and it will be essential to achieve any gains via parallel
processing with root's PROOF functionality.

as an example, the processing time for the december data already went
from 2+minutes down to a few seconds by consolidating all of the
flr-###.root into a single file using filter.C
--chris

>I don't understand why we "really need" to change something, and I hope
>that we can survive with the nfs as is. The system should not be any
>slower now (in principle, but I guess it may depend on usage), and the
>way /net/data/4 is mounted on bud01-24 is the same way it is mounted
>on spud1-3, spudd5-8 !

it is very nice to finally have all the spuds cross mounted.