Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] momentum resolution

From: Tancredi Botto (tancredi@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2004 - 13:34:59 EDT

Hi john,
we are of course well aware of the problem you mention

> So my question is: is the factor of 3 in "effective" momentum resolution
> due to uncertainty in angular resolution? Or at least part of it?

some numbers have been quoted with this correction taken into account,
some without. The difference is not large and can be estimated with a
simple kinematics calculator. Please refer to the february collaboration
meeting.

About the z-resolution: it would not be surprising that problems there are
coupled with the problems in the angle, however "vertex-z" is measured
independently of angle.

To quote a "z-accuracy" we just look at Z-left - Z-right so there is no
explicit angle, momentum contribution. Also note that our approach so
far has been that of "track finding" not optics, therefore these correlations
are somewhat hidden

regards,
-- tancredi

Tancredi Botto, phone: +1-617-253-9204 mobile: +1-978-490-4124
research scientist MIT/Bates, 21 Manning Av Middleton MA, 01949