RE: [BLAST_SHIFTS] [BLAST_ANAWARE] /home/blast

From: Ernie Bisson, MIT Bates Linear Accelerator (BISSON@AESIR.mit.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 16 2004 - 13:06:09 EDT

>Also I wonder if a Mozilla can be installed on /home/blast for all users.
>I know more than one of us got fed up with netscape and intalled our own
>mozilla in our home dir. It is good for our work, browsing root
>documentation and so on :)

It's appropriate to install software such as Mozilla in the system partitions,
not in the /home areas. All the RedHat 7.3 systems do have Mozilla installed.
Also, I do have Mozilla built for RedHat RH7.0 and it can be installed on the
remaining RH7.0 BLAST systems if desired. It's the same version that is on the
RH7.3 systems. If a a newer version is needed then I can try and install one.

It is things like this that add to the problem, especially with software such
as Netscape/Mozilla which tend to be fairly large in size. I know over time
many users have installed there own private versions of Netscape, Acrobat,
etc... in their /home areas. I don't know how much of /home/blast is used
because of this and there is no way for me to police such practices.

Ernie