Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] ed elastic cross section and cell wall background

From: Tancredi Botto (tancredi@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 16 2004 - 10:43:03 EDT

Chi, congratulations on your excellent results.

_ why does your e- vertex distribution have two peaks (in data and mc?)
  is this from the 40 and 60 cm cell ? I am not sure i understand it.
  Maybe a simpler picture would be better (I am not asking for it)

_ As far as montecarlo, comparing the distribution of theta_spin is
  actually interesting because a wrong theta* enters directly in your Pzz,
  T20... I understand you fixed the h.f. direction, but what matters is
  also the distribution. When data and mc are understoodd they should
  match at all z's, theta_e's, and so on

_ You are quite right about ee'p bckg of course. But you do show that cell
  Al(ee'p) backgrounds are not a problem, which is a significant result.
  If a lot of Al(ee'p) falls in your cuts than D(ee'p) would have been a
  serious problem. It is the other way around, and you are down by 3
  order of magnitude. For a first estimate of the D(ee'p) contamination
  you can use 10^-3 * (Yield(Dee'p)/Yield(Alee'p), where Yield can be
  defined as total ee'p rate (only pid cuts).

_ If the above corrections significantly alters your T20, (say outside 3
  sigma of your error bar) I will eat my hat with fork and knife in front
  of you (but only if you ask me to)

_ For internal discussion it is nice to show blue dots in T20 from the
  proposal. However, since the proposal and experiment have different spin
  angles the comparison is non trivial and maybe doe is not review
  history. I suggest you leave them out

_ Maybe some internal rebinning can be done if a point at 4.5 fm-1 becomes
  possible.. (needs fuill statistics of course).

Tancredi Botto,  		phone: +1-617-253-9204  mobile: +1-978-490-4124
research scientist		MIT/Bates, 21 Manning Av    Middleton MA, 01949