Re: [BLAST_SHIFTS] T20 projection

From: Peter Karpius (karpiusp@einstein.unh.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 23 2004 - 17:38:26 EDT

Hi Genya-

        Are you still using beta as your sole "timing" cut? Chi has
extensive and precise timing cuts. I have found that using your cuts on the
60cm 32 deg (post-shutdown) data I get a factor of ~1.4 more elastics than with
Chi-s cuts. Perhaps I have made a mistake though if you and Chi agree on
the number of deuterons you see. If that's the case please disregard
this!

                                        Pete

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Genya wrote:

> Since there was a descripancy between the proposal and projected error
> bars (by Chi),
> I tried to do the projection separately.
> Please note, that Chi and me have somewhat different theoretical
> models and it may
> affect the projected errors, but not very much, IMO.
> Using my model, I measure Pzz of abou 80 %. In order to be
> conservative, I took Pzz=70%
> in my estimations.
> Calibrated by data from unpol runs, the target flux F=3*10**16
> at/sec, total thickness in the
> area +- 2 cm from the center is about t=8*10**13 at/cm**2, and the
> luminosity at 100 mA is
> about 5*10**31. We expect to collect 300kC of data.
> My results with these asumptions differ drastically from Chi's:
> Chi mine
> q, f-1 T20 dT20/T20, % dT20/T20, %
> 2.28 -0.83+-.03 3.6 1.4
> 2.66 -1.12+-.06 5.4 1.8
> 3.10 -1.25+-.11 8.8 2.6
> 3.62 -1.12+-.14 12.5 4.1
> 4.20 -0.68+-.17 25.0 10.2
>
> One can see that the difference in error bars projections is around
> factor of 3, which corresponds to almost
> factor of 10 in statistics !
> Two additional remarks. In all our data taken after shutdown I
> observe that we don't have enough elastic events.
> In pol and unpol runs, with D2 and H2. The difference is almost factor
> of 2. Possible explanations:
> a) another hole in the cell
> b) inefficiency in detection/tracking/cuts.
> c) I've made a mistake somewhere.
> At least point c) must be checked by someone other than me (Chi?)
> And we need to sit with Chi and work out our differencies in error
> bars projection.
>
> Genya

Pete Karpius
Graduate Research Assistant