Re: [BLAST_ANAWARE] thesis - CVS

From: Chris Crawford (chris2@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 08 2004 - 15:26:48 EST

hi pete (and anyone else who wants to import their own thesis directory),

  i would suggest making up your own directory in $CVSROOT/exp, for
example, i put mine in exp/rpex, and chi is using exp/t20. how you
organize your directory is up to you; you might want one directory for
you analysis macros and another for your latex.

  to import what you already have into cvs, i recommend the following steps:

a0) backup everything!
a) move files around to create the directory structure you want. think
about it carefully now, because it is hard to change later.
b) make sure to 'setenv CVSUMASK 000' first or you block others from
using the repository (they can't write lock files in your subdirectory
in the repository)
c) from inside the top directory, do 'cvs im -d -m"importing my thesis"
exp/myexp karpiusp start'
  first do 'cvs -H im' to see what that means.
d) update a fresh working copy of your thesis (move your imported copy
somewhere else) 'cvs up -d'
e) diff the checked out version with the one you imported, and if
they're the same, tar up the old one and delete it before it gets used
anymore.
f) you can now check in changes you make in your working copy.

  i'll be at bates tomorrow and friday and can help if you like.
--good luck, chris