Fwd: Re: [BLAST_SHIFTS] Update on beam/target status

From: Karen Dow (kdow@mit.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 16:03:42 EST

BLAST shifts are ON.

The ABS leak is fixed. I am now taking data on the ABS. The BQMs look
reasonable (about 140 on the top), lifetime is around 20 minutes, although
it is much lower (13 minutes) at the beginning of the fill. Dave is
filling to 160 mA.

By morning we should have a good idea of the target thickness and
polarization. Presumably the nitrogen from the leak was making the target
look thicker than expected, diluting the polarization, and blowing up the beam.

Here is some history from earlier today.

>>Ernie and Brian have indeed found a leak in the ABS above V14. Ernie says:

  After doing a test over the phone with Larry L. last night, I
determined that we maybe had a sizable leak in the lower sexipole
chamber just above V14. We shut off cryos last night so that we could
work on it today.

Brian and I found a large air leak on the KF flange on V14 and a very
small one someplace else. Fixed both and ABS is discharge is on and
should be able to be run at about 3:30 to 4:00 today. Cryos started at
noon.

Ernie