update on the magnetic field

From: Chris Crawford (chris2@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 29 2005 - 22:51:22 EDT

Last week Chris suggested that I double check the calculation of the
effect of the bugfix in bgrid2.blast. So here are the results for three
test tracks. I plotted the magnetic field along the trajectory of each
track, and estimated the change in momentum and track angle between the
old and new fieldmap.

The formulas derive from the cyclotron frequency: p = q B r,
p=momentum, q=charge, B=field, r=radius, and e kG cm = 3e-4 GeV/c.

delta theta = q/p int delta B ds,
    integrated over the pathlength from the vertex to middle chamber

delta p / p = < delta B > / < B >,
    averaged over the pathlength between the three wire chambers

In each case, the first plot shows the difference between the two
fields, with the BLAST geometry and a track. The second plot shows the
old fieldmap (biot-savart) in red, with the corrected field in blue, and
the six superlayers are also shown.

The anomaly in the left sector at 33-38 deg was due to holes in the real
fieldmap that need filled in still.

The macro is checked in to: exp/analysis/macros/est_offset.C

In conclusion, the previous analysis was correct. The effect on theta
is tiny, because of the already large radius of curvature. The effect
on p is on the order of 1%, because most of the change in field occurs
before the wire chambers. Finally, the new fieldmap needs some work
before it is ready for recrunch. I am still working on the effect of
possible geometry mistakes.

--Chris

root [0] draw_track(25,0,0)
theta diff: 0.0549277 deg