2004/2005 e'n Rates

From: Eugene J. Geis (Eugene.Geis@asu.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 17 2005 - 23:13:26 EDT

I've sent 3 pages of histograms(enRate.ps,nRate.ps,eRate.ps). All histograms are normalized to charge.
I have split up the 2004 and 2005 sets into 7 sets, [runs 7800-9000, 9000-10000, 10000-11000,
11000-12050, 14400-15000, 15000-16000, runs>16000]

They are represented by line colors [ black, red, green, blue, yellow, magenta, aqua].

BLACK,RED,GREEN,BLUE are all 2004 data. 7800-12050
YELLOW,MAGENTA,AQUA are all 2005 data.

Our BLUE data from runs 11000-12050 is a large source of our rate anomaly. The rates are
anomalously high. If anyone would design a new experiment, take your example from the month of
october last year. Red and Green are consistent and higher than 2005 rates. Black is still higher than
2005 but has the lowest rates of 2004 data. All the 2005 lines (yellow, magenta, aqua) are very
consistent, they are consistently low. The low 'TOF 6-8' efficiency from Renee's reports is easily
viewable in the last page of plots (eRate.ps). The histogram is titled "Electron Theta Left".

enRates.ps is self-explanatory... They are all loose cuts on e'n events and you're looking at electron
scintillators, theta, and a missing mass graph for each sector

nRates.ps is also somewhat self-explanatory. These are the same e'n events and they are divided by
neutron detector groups. The L15s overall rate have nearly disappeared in 2005 data... which may
mean we have no noise and great neutrons, or we have very few of everything. This is yet to be
determined.

eRates.ps is the last file and has identical plots to enRates.ps but with no missing mass cut and no
neutral charge veto so as to allow more electrons, independent of a particular reaction's cross-section.
This is where the theta dip from 40-50 degrees is extremely obvious. It is also apparent that this dip is
in ALL 2005 data. In these plots, it seems, in the left sector, that the earliest 2004 data (black) has
lower rates than 2005. In the right sector, the BLUE is the only 2004 rate greater than the 2005 rates,
except at the lowest polar angle... This is because we moved the OHIO walls on the left and lost the
lowest angle electron events in trigger 2 (e'n).

It seems that the anomaly is not the overall difference between 2004 and 2005 but rather, what was so
beauteous about October 2004? At the rates in these plots, we would have only needed November and
a little bit of December (under the same conditions) to have doubled our D2 dataset.

eugene

Eugene Geis
PhD Student, Physics Department, ASU
Research Affiliate, MIT-Bates Laboratory of Nuclear Science
eugene.geis@asu.edu
http://quickreaction.blogspot.com