Re: /home/blast full Re: disk usage

From: Ernie Bisson, MIT Bates Linear Accelerator (BISSON@aesir.lns.mit.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 13:14:21 EST

>Hi,
>
>instead of yanking users out of /home/blast, I think it might be more
>helpful to create an area in the scratch discs that is backed up. don't
>need to be all that often, maybe once a month or even once a quater.
>
>I remember it happened to both Adrian and Aaron when considerable portion
>of their work were lost due to scratch disc failure. If the scratches on
>bud10 fail right now, I estimate about a month set back on my work. All
>the ntuples must be refiltered, all the monte carlos must be regenerated,
>plots remade, latest changes to codes must be recalled and reprogrammed
>from the last point saved in CVS.
>
>I believe this is partly the reason why people are reluctant to use the
>scratches but instead put significant amount in home/blast.

The cron jobs I described to backup /scratch1/bud18 are now in place.
/scratch1/bud18 will be fully backed up once a week to tape and incrementally
each day to disk files on /scratch/bud18. I will archive the full tapes once
a month. Please move any unnecessary files to /scratch1/bud18 in order to
free space on /home/blast.

Ernie