Minutes of the analysis meeting on Wednesday 12/07/2005

From: Michael Kohl (kohlm@mit.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 18:56:37 EST

Hi, here are the minutes:

We discussed about the best strategy to prepare a first round of
papers. As a suitable strategy for publishing it appears to prepare a
number of four-page letters to be submitted to PRL on the various
physics channels. It seems to make most sense to start with proton
data on GEp/GMp, then e,e'p from deuterium (one for vector
A_perp/A_para at low pmiss as function of Q2 to adress GEP/GMp from
deuterium, and one for tensor and vector asymmetries versus pmiss to
address the D-wave in deuterium), then GEn and GMn. Results on T11e and
T20 are standalone but could be a letter each. If T11e goes so far to
extract GM under assumptions for T20 (GQ) a reference to the T20 analysis
is necessary.
All of these letters should be decoupled as much as possible from the
hardware elements in order to leave enough space to discuss the
physics.
While a target paper has been accepted by NIM, a paper on Compton (TA,
BF) and one on the BLAST detector (DH) are in preparation. Possibly
the "BLAST paper" should also expand in some detail on how
polarizations hPz and Pzz are determined. The target, Compton and
detector papers are of top priority as they will be referred to by all
the physics papers.
In the following weeks we should develop a strategy in more detail
which can be discussed in the January meeting.

We discussed about the status of analysis in view of a first round of
papers. A recrunch of all May-December 2004 data with lrn-v3_4_14 (the
long version starting from raw data) has been carried out and will soon be
available for users. It uses Chi's wire chamber calibration, the new BLAST
field map (on the original smaller grid though), the SQL database for
electronics.map and run-by-run calibration of TDCs/ADCs and a proper
charge calibration. It is the first time that all data will have been
analyzed with the same BLAST library and will allow much better for
systematic checks and to cross-correlate different channels.
It is envisioned to also crunch the 2005 data with the same software
version under the same conditions such that we will have one coherent
dataset (or DST) to base all analyses on. The appropriate kinematic
corrections will have to be determined new from these recrunched
data. Any refinements in geometry or calibrations can then be done
with quick recrunches from DST.

Chris had shown in summer the sensitivity that a 1mm shift of the
middle chamber in the right sector would account for all kinematic
corrections for the proton and electron in the right sector to first
order simultaneously. If it is true that the momentum corrections are
explained by geometry, this finding should be confirmed by a straight
track analysis.
The status of the straight track analysis: From dedicated zero field
runs the analysis suffers from the high hit multiplicity and produces
a poor resolution. Instead, dedicated cosmic runs should be used, or
cosmic events in the production runs be identified and used.
It is hoped that the straight track analysis gives results by the
January meeting. If a geometry issue is confirmed, another (quick)
recrunch of the data will follow with the wire chambers suitably
shifted. Otherwise, we may have to live with the kinematic offsets for a
while.
Do we know the positions of the wires? Karen was up to verify the wire
coordinates from a combination of the chamber survey with
drawings/measurements of wire positions from the manufacturer. This
used to be the resource for Aron to set up Wire.cal.

Best regards,

    Michael

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Michael Kohl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we'll meet at Bates on Wednesday 12/07/2005 at 13:30 (not 14:30).
> People from outside: feel free to call in 617-253-9200.
> People from New Hampshire: Roads should be clear by Wednesday noon.
>
> In view of the upcoming collaboration meeting on Friday 01/06/2006 it is
> important to see where we stand. The collaboration meeting should set a
> marker and be the base for a first round of papers to be published. Any
> progress in calibrations beyond may and should be considered later on.
> I urge everybody to attend and report about the status of each analysis.
>
> Agenda:
> -Where do we stand?
> +Status of analyses in various channels
> +Status of recrunch
> -Papers in preparation
> +Target, Detector, GEn, GEp/GMp, T11e
> +T20, (e,e'p), GMn
> +pion channels
> -Use v3_4_14 results to produce publishable results. All latter follow-up
> versions for refinements.
> -Review status at collaboration meeting on
> ??Thursday 2006/01/05?? and Friday 2006/01/06.
>

> Regards,
>
> Michael
>

> +-------------------------------------+--------------------------+
> | Office: | Home: |
> |-------------------------------------|--------------------------|
> | Dr. Michael Kohl | Michael Kohl |
> | Laboratory for Nuclear Science | 5 Ibbetson Street |
> | MIT-Bates Linear Accelerator Center | Somerville, MA 02143 |
> | Middleton, MA 01949 | U.S.A. |
> | Email: kohlm@mit.edu | K.Michael.Kohl@gmx.de |
> | Work: +1-617-253-9207 | Home: +1-617-629-3147 |
> | Fax: +1-617-253-9599 | Mobile: +1-978-580-4190 |
> | http://blast.lns.mit.edu | |

| Office: | Home: |