proton dE/dx in TOFs

From: Adrian T Sindile (asindile@cisunix.unh.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 13 2006 - 15:16:43 EST

Hi,
I have taken a look at the idea of isolating a well known kinematic region
by studying the peak of the proton energy loss in the TOFs.

I started by plotting the individual TOF ADCs versus proton momentum
(please see attached leftPrEnLoss.gif and righPrEnLoss.gif files). Looking
at them, I realized I should combine all the TOFs, since that way I could
see a broader kinematic region. So I combined all of the TOFs (separate
for left and right) in the attached enLoss.gif file.

Since there was no "peak" in these plots (it seemed all the protons were
punching through the TOF material) I asked Genya's opinion... in the end
we realized the expected "peak" should appear for e-p elastic in a more
backward region than the one covered by our TOFs.

I should probably add that the study was done on the GOOD e-p events
(after all cuts we use now when we plot asymmetries and Ge/Gm). I used
about 10% of our data.

Adrian

Adrian Sindile
Research Assistant