Re: analysis meeting

From: Karen Dow (kdow@mit.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 17 2006 - 08:17:12 EST

Tavi,

Michael is correct. The way we programmed the XMLU, an event might set
multiple XMLU output bits. The TS prescales all input bits, and then
was programmed to assign the event to the least significant bit
remaining. A TOF-neutron event that fails on the bit 2 prescale may
pass on the bit 7. You have to look carefully at the XMLU programming
in the .settings file for the trigger to see what happens. I think you
also have to include trigger 6, because if the TOF that fired along with
the neutron was TOF12-15, bits 2 and 6 were set.

I've just looked at the trigger .settings file, and it looks to me like
for a nominal (e,e'n) event there are 3 possibilities:

1) TOF0-11 with Cer -- event 2, but if it fails prescale, event 7 (where
it may also fail prescale)
2) TOF12-15 -- event 2, but if it fails prescale, event 6 (where it may
also fail prescale)
3) TOF0-11 with NO Cer -- event 2, but if it fails prescale, it's lost

For events of 3) above, you'd have to multiply the # of those by the
event 2 prescale. But you don't do that for 1) or 2), because you've
already accounted for them when multiplying # of 7's (or 6's) by the
event 7 or 6 prescale.

It would probably be a good idea to check the trigger .settings file
used for certain time periods, and make sure the details of 1), 2), 3)
are the same for all runs. At some point (before the 2004 production
runs?) we changed the definition of event 7 to include the Cerenkov, and
that will be obvious from the XMLU programming.

Karen