Re: Minutes of the 2006/03/29 Blast analysis meeting

From: Christopher Crawford (chris2@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2006 - 12:47:05 EST

Hi Simon,

On Mar 31, 2006, at 17:34:19, Simon Sirca wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> I am neither questioning the Bardin & Shumeiko approach nor
> the physics behind mascarad; I am worried about coupling mascarad
> to our MC. Let me therefore reformulate my simple questions, hoping
> that someone can answer them without pointing just at Afanasev's PRD.
>
> - Does the radiative correction implemented in our simulation
> amount to a single number below the selected cutoff? If yes,
> is there an agreed-upon procedure to determine this cutoff?

Yes. I believe this is universal in all RC's, due to the fact a
infinite pole at W=M (vertex correction, elastic kinematics) cancels
out an infrared divergence in the radiative tail (non-elastic
kinematics). Not only that, but the soft part of the RC (a single
number) is exponentiated to account for multiple photon emission.

The only criterion I know is that you like the cutoff to be smaller
than the energy resolution. If it is too small, multiple photon
emission is not properly accounted for. If it is too large, the
convolution with energy resolution is unrealistic.

> - How and why exactly does the large electron energy shift
> that was mentioned come about?

It comes from convolution of a non-symmetric tail onto the peak.
(gauss + slope = shift) Thus the shift of the peak itself should be
much less than the energy resolution. The mean could shift much
more, depending on the cutoff. I don't know what the shift is yet,
but it was done wrong in the past (the radiative tail was used
without the elastic peak).

> - Is the XS radiated by mascarad being convoluted with the
> *measured* experimental resolution in the MC?

Yes, that's the only way to calculate the shift. I will just do it
by hand (no MC at all). In BLASTMC, it is done implicitly by
smearing the drift chamber wire resolution.

--Chris