MASCARAD + DGEN problems

From: Christopher Crawford (chris2@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2006 - 18:44:33 EDT

   I took an initial look at the radiative corrections in MC, and
there are problems. I include two problem histograms: the first one
is just raw theta in the left sector. It has a significant peak with
structure around theta=0, which should not be present. If I had to
guess, I would say that the code is generating radiative kinematics
in the frame of the outgoing electron instead of in the BLAST frame
(although that does not make sense either, since you do see a small
tail above v=0.10 GeV^2).
   The second is a histogram of the invariant mass W for 25 < th_e <
35 deg. Out of the 266406 events in the elastic peak (v < .010
GeV^2 or W-M < 5.6 MeV), there were only 45 events in the
radiative tail. The original code gives delta(.010)=0.804 and delta(.
4427)=0.978, implying 266406*(978-804)/978 = 47397 events in the
tail, up to only W=1150 MeV. Note: v = W^2 - M^2 is the
inelasticity (a parameter in MASCARAD).
   Due to small statistics, I was unable to verify the shape of the
tail. Anyways, someone must correct these problems before this MC
can be trusted for radiative corrections. I will report on
corrections based on the original MASCARAD code at the next meeting.
--Chris

TA-53/MPF-1/D111 P-23 MS H803
LANL, Los Alamos, NM 87545
505-665-9804(o) 665-4121(f) 662-0639(h)