Re: On "average" vs. "nominal" spin angle

From: Christopher Crawford (chris2@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Sat May 06 2006 - 09:03:49 EDT

Hi Michael,

   Thanks for elucidating the discussion at the BLAST meeting; that
was the point I was trying to make. Of course in practice, your
formula is implemented by the simpler one:

< theta_s > \equiv \sum_i (w_i * theta_s(z_i)) / \sum_i (w_i)
where 'i' runs over the event sample, and the weight of each event
'w_i' can be taken as unity.

   It would also be helpful to provide 'th_nominal' for each of the
fieldmaps as a reference. So if I understand, the main point is that
we need to compare different extractions / measurements in terms of
'th_nominal' to avoid dependence of the event distribution.

   One final thing, I don't think the event distribution does not
make much difference, since I got pretty much the same result for
each Q^2 bin, left and right sector, but if you look at the z-
distributions for each, they are wildly different. There are even
gaping holes in some.

--Chris

TA-53/MPF-1/D111 P-23 MS H803
LANL, Los Alamos, NM 87545