Minutes of the Special Blast analysis meeting on Wednesday 7/12/2006

From: Michael Kohl (kohlm@mit.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2006 - 22:13:26 EDT

Hi,

we've met today to have a discussion with Alexander Ilychev on the current
situation of treating radiative effects in Blast, and to come up with a
task list of near-term goals.

Distinguish between code that calculates the total radiated cross section
for a process (integrated over all radiated energies) and a Montecarlo
generator that generates an additional explicit real photon photon along
with the particles of the considered process.

All subsequent codes calculate outgoing radiation from the lepton branches
only.

Mascarad - calculates the elastic cross section including radiation,
            integrates over all photon energies
Polrad - calculates radiated inelastic (inclusive) cross section,
            integrates over all photon energies

DGen+Mascarad - Blast generator for radiated elastic events, accounting
                 for helicity dependence, additional real photon is
                 explicitly generated, energy not integrated. At present,
                 this generator produces a factor ~2 more radiative events
                 than expected from the original Mascarad code.

ElRadGen - Sasha's generator for elastic radiated events, like
            Dgen+Mascarad, however still without polarization.
RadGen - Sasha's generator for radiated inelastic events (based on
            Polrad)

RadGen has the feature that one can include a hadronic tensor of choice,
appropriate for the considered process
(elastic ->F1,F2; inelastic -> Maid; deuterium target ...). That way,
radiated generators can be constructed for both inclusive and exclusive
reactions.
RadGen/ElRadGen are Fortran generators, but it should be possible to link
them as objects to C++ code.

Recommended strategy:
-A wrapper should be written to include Sasha's generators into blastmc
  or to produce root files from the RadGen/ElRadGen generators. Even if
  not yet combined with Geant, at the generator level interesting features
  can be studied.
-Vitaliy should try to understand and fix the normalization of the
  radiative tail in the Dgen+Mascarad generator
-Sasha should implement polarization in ElRadGen, as a result ElRadGen and
  Dgen-Mascarad generators should yield the same results.
-Sasha should provide RadGen based on Polrad and Maid.
-Finally, we should aim for realistic generators for each reaction
  channel, inclusive and exclusive:
  p(e,e')X, p(e,e'p)X, p(e,e'pi+)X, or
  d(e,e')X, d(e,e'd)X, d(e,e'p)X, d(e,e'n)X, d(e,e'pi+)X, d(e,e'pi-)X,
-For p(e,e') and p(e,e'p) in the Delta region, it is important to
  quantify the amount of radiative tail from the elastic process as this
  would affect the asymmetries in the Delta region. For all other cases the
  asymmetries between unradiated and radiated processes will change very
  little, as the dominant part of the radiation is helicity independent.

Sasha is returning home on Thursday July 20, 2006. We will have a
follow-up analysis meeting next Wednesday to re-assess the tasks.

Best regards,

    Michael

+-------------------------------------+--------------------------+
| Office: | Home: |
|-------------------------------------|--------------------------|
| Dr. Michael Kohl | Michael Kohl |
| Laboratory for Nuclear Science | 5 Ibbetson Street |
| MIT-Bates Linear Accelerator Center | Somerville, MA 02143 |
| Middleton, MA 01949 | U.S.A. |
| Email: kohlm@mit.edu | K.Michael.Kohl@gmx.de |
| Work: +1-617-253-9207 | Home: +1-617-629-3147 |
| Fax: +1-617-253-9599 | Mobile: +1-978-580-4190 |
| http://blast.lns.mit.edu | |