direct experimental evidences of pion production from tensor polarized deuterium

From: Akihisa Shinozaki (shino@lns.mit.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2006 - 12:49:14 EDT

Hi all,
I regret that I made a mistake before putting the results in the slide
for the collaboration meeting. I put a supplemental slide at
http://blast.lns.mit.edu/PRIVATE_RESULTS/USEFUL/DEUTERIUM/PION/aki_060714_suppliment.ppt.
I would like to give some explanations here.
The slides give the pion production yield rates as a function of lab.
pion energy in order to directly compare with the graphs in the paper by
R.J Loucks and V.R. Pandharipande (Phys. Rev C49 (1994) 342). The
slides show that both pi+ and pi- results give a clear negative tensor
polarization at the W=1160 MeV in the parallel kinematics, as is
predicted. However, it seems that the energy resolutions is not so good
that this m=+/-1 suppression is still seen at the Delta peak, where the
spin flipping is dominant so that m=+/-1 state should get stronger (the
tensor asymmetry tends to go positive). At the perpendicular kinematics,
the opposite results (m=0 suppression) are seen. This is also
consistent with the simple picture of the suppression mechanism of the
deuteron cross section. For the quantitative arguments, our tensor
asymmetries shown in the lower panels should become important.
Thank you for your attention,
Aki