Minutes of the Blast analysis meeting on Wednesday 9/20/2006

From: Michael Kohl (kohlm@mit.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2006 - 10:59:09 EDT

Hi,

below are the minutes of yesterday's analysis meeting.

Only in case of a particular need we will hold a meeting next Wednesday
2006/9/27. In any case there will be a rehearsel for Bill Franklin's
presentation for SPIN2006, either at 13:30 or directly after the
eventual meeting.

We still have not decided on moving the meeting schedule.
Latest suggestion is every other Thursday at 9am. Let me know if you can
accomodate this with your schedules.

Best regards,

    Michael

Minutes

-Status v3_4_21 recrunch (MK)
  +See ppt
  +Recrunch of runs 7002-16506 complete using run-by-run time
   calibration generated by Mark
  +Presently evaluating quality, see ppt
  +Looking at three time correlations, for (e,e'p), (e,e'gamma) and
   (e,e'n) events: if calib is correct, all measured time diffs should
   agree with the time diff calculated from tracking, for all detector
   pairings (16x16 TOFsxTOFs and 16x72 TOFxNeutron bars)
  +Results are complete for hydrogen runs 12144-13278 and look very good,
   (mean,sigma) for deltaT(e'p) without any further cuts except vertex
   and track charge gives (-2.4ns/1.8ns) in v20, becoming (0.2ns/0.9ns) in
   v21!!!
  +Will announce victory (and update th links in RECRUNCHDIR) after having
   completed the quality checks on the entire dataset

-Comparison data/Montecarlo for d(e,e'p) (AD)
  +See files in folder DEGRUSH
  +Montecarlo vs data for several variables for 2005 deuterium
  +Normalized MC to maximum bin in each panel
   -> Better uses only one global normalization, this gives a better
   feeling for local inefficiencies
  +Data with Cerenkov cut, inefficient (nonexistent) for rear angles,
   ->relax this cut for this investigation
  +Considered MC uses Geant only for acceptance test but tossed
   variables otherwise. Therefore, resolution (convolution with
   estimated resolution function) has to be adjusted manually
  +vs electron momentum: quite some disagreement in higher Q2 bins,
   could be due to cerenkov cut
  +vs. phi: disagreement at forward angles already present in AM's
   thesis
  +This MC choice was made to facilitate the variation of input
   parameters (GEn,GMn,GEp,GMp) that affect event weights. This way
   only one common event list needs to be generated
   ->event-weighted versus reconstructed MC
  +As the event-weighted MC has no energy loss, data yield should be
   energy-loss corrected (in average) before comparing with MC, all the
   multiple scattering and Landau broadening then needs to be modeled
   manually to give a realistic response (Gaussian smearing).
  +EG has used Geant-MC to determine a parameterization of the energy
   loss effect as a function of particle's energy, will send the result
   in a separate email
  +At least one detailed MC including reconstruction of propagated
   events for one parameter choice of G_E,M^p,n with all multiple
   scattering and eloss effects turned on in propagation and average
   Eloss corrections applied in reconstruction is necessary to evaluate
   the quality of the event-weighted MC (->EG)
  +need to look at variables such as theta_e, theta_p, TOFnum, CERnum,
   missing momentum components longitudinal, sideways within the
   scattering plane and out-of scattering plane (in the physics
   coordinate frame) for data/MC comparison
  +When Eloss is applied to data and resolution modeled in MC, the
   remaining shifts between MC and and data can be used to parameterize
   kinematic corrections for the d(e,e'p) channel

-(e,e'n) analysis (EG)
  +Showing asymmetries and MC for v3_4_21 2005-deuterium (see ppt)
  +v21 data doesn't look drastically different from v17 except at
   certain locations. However, both do not look "satisfactory".
  +There are regions of disagreement between MC and data regardless of
   what is assumed for GEn, resulting in a chi^2/d.o.f. at the minimum
   much larger than 1, also the chi2 distributions do not look
   parabolic in those cases (1st and 2nd bin)
  +There is a technical problem in regard of activation of the proton
   veto from the wire chamber hit multiplicity. Since the
   lrd-recrunches (v17-21) are done from the DST which only contains track
   information, multiplicity variables are unavailable unless the
   ntuples were generated with lrn from raw data. Therefore,
   lrn-generated ntuples (v14,=ANALDIR) need to be accessed to process the
   multiplicities in parallel with the events from the lrd-generated ntuples.

  +Earlier on the phone we discussed a number of steps and detailed
   checks that need to be done regarding:
  +Data/MC yield comparisons in various variables, such as z,
   theta(e,n), phi(e,n), mom(e,n), pmiss (also components);
  +(e,e'n) rate monitor (after good cuts) vs run number and
   vs. detector channels;
  +Not mix things when doing comparisons between version
   (e.g. different runlists)
  +On time correction for neutron: Tnn is based on tdcdiff
   measurement and pathlengths for electron and neutron. The
   corrected electron track along with the neutron angles allow to
   calculate Tnncalc. Comparison of Tnncalc with Tnn should be
   used for event selection instead of missingmass (this way
   negative Tnn's or shorter than photon-Tnn in case of a
   miscalibration would not be rejected through the Mmiss evaluation)
  +In the previous version of correcting Tnn, the difference
   Tnn-Tnncalc was first parameterized as a function of Q2 and then
   this function was used to correct Tnn event-by-event (i.e. the
   correction itself was averaged)
  +Plan: use Tnncalc for further processing of quantities that
   depend on neutron momentum (this way the correction is
   event-by-event and not averaged). Hope is that the uncertainty
   of Tnncalc is less than for Tnn from the time measurement.
  +A way to verify that Tnncalc has a better resolution than Tnn
   would be to compare reconstructed vs. tossed MC values of these
   two variables (if there wasn't the pathlength problem in MC).
  +Also, the MC for the first and second bin look suspicious,
   contracting to zero at pmiss ~=0.16-0.20, but not in the third and
   fourth bin. VZ tried to convince me that this is real (or at least
   in Arenhoevels calculations), but a zero-sensitivity to a variation
   of GEn is hard to understand. Anyway it is important to also compare
   the MC yields with data yields for the same bins/plots!

-aob
  +status prl: confirmed receipt; 4 lines too long
  +collaboration meeting on Friday 2006/11/17
  +new meeting schedule: proposed every other Thursday 13:30
   with occasional Bates Lunch seminars with 3pm limit to commute to
   campus for departmental colloquium. HOWEVER: Adam may have classes
   from noon on, and there may be senior campus lunch meetings.
   Therefore we consider every other Thursday at 9am.
   LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE OBJECTIONS!

Regards,

    Michael

+-------------------------------------+--------------------------+
| Office: | Home: |
|-------------------------------------|--------------------------|
| Dr. Michael Kohl | Michael Kohl |
| Laboratory for Nuclear Science | 5 Ibbetson Street |
| MIT-Bates Linear Accelerator Center | Somerville, MA 02143 |
| Middleton, MA 01949 | U.S.A. |
| Email: kohlm@mit.edu | K.Michael.Kohl@gmx.de |
| Work: +1-617-253-9207 | Home: +1-617-629-3147 |
| Fax: +1-617-253-9599 | Mobile: +1-978-580-4190 |
| http://blast.lns.mit.edu | |