Re: target dimensions question...

From: Timothy Smith (tim_smith@MIT.EDU)
Date: Tue Sep 04 2001 - 14:26:20 EDT

Hello Aaron,

        I just talked to Townsend about the beam size. He says
ideally (ie. without a gas target) it is ~300 micros horizontal,
~30 vertical. But pratically (based on the ring run) the gas
blows it up to be more like a millimeter.

        In either case, it is well below the resolution of BLAST.

                                        Tim Smith

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Aaron Joseph Maschinot wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I poorly phrased my question before regarding the target's dimensions. I
> am working with the Monte Carlo. What I needed to know was not the actual
> physical dimensions of the target. I needed to know the dimensions of the
> volume in which events will originate. I suppose this volume is 40cm long
> (the physical length of the target). However, the beam size, I think, is
> what determines the diameter of the active event region. I do not know
> what the beam size is. Does anyone else know? If so, would you please
> tell me the diameter or radius (please specify which one you tell me).
>
> Thank you and sorry for the confusion,
>
> Aaron

 Timothy Paul Smith                               Research Scientist
 MIT Bates Lab                                     tim_smith@mit.edu
 21 Manning Rd.                                 tel:  (617) 253-9207
 Middleton, MA 01949                            fax:  (617) 253-9599