Re: Makefile changed for campus

From: Simon Sirca (sirca@crex.mit.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 15:04:35 EDT

> in the weekly software meeting, we talked about having Makefiles only
> depend on the standard environment variables for paths, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc.

I am sorry I could not participate in today's meeting since I was at Bates.
But based on the e-mails sent after the meeting, let me notice once more
that I regret that the use of autoconf, which would be a perfect tool
to match each person's computing environment to the BLAST software
distribution, failed to become an option. It would solve the trivial
problems concerning paths, etc. in an unambiguous and elegant way.
In particular, it is much better to insert the shared-library search path
into the executable itself using -Xlinker -rpath options during linking,
instead of defining it through a non-gauge-invariant LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Simon

--
  Simon Sirca
  MIT-LNS, Room 26-402                 Tel: +1 617 258-5438