Re: possible error/conflict in TBLRecon.cc, TBLMagField.cc, TBLSimTrack.cc

From: Timothy Smith (tim_smith@MIT.EDU)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 08:06:49 EST

Hello Aaron and BLASTers,

        The macro "s.C" uses TBLRecon. I had problems with it
recently too, in "recon.Initialize". In the older version of
"s.C" the geometry and the field were initialized in the macro,
and then passed to "recon.Initialize". This then used the
field to initialize the simTrack class. This all fails in the
macro - but works in the compiled code "s" - I do not know
why.

        So recently I added a new method to TBLRecon. In this
method;
          recon.Initialize("bgrid.blast","blast.geom");
the names of the field and geometry files are passed to
"recon.Initialize" and the field and geometry are instantiated
within TBLRecon. So "s.C" (new version - yesterday) doesn't
used TBLMagField or TBLSimTrack directly, they are inside
of TBLRecon.

        I would like to be able to do it the other way, and
do not understand why it stopped working. However, I think people
who need to do reconstructions should be able to checkout
"s.C" and work with it.
                                        Tim Smith

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Aaron Joseph Maschinot wrote:

> Hello, all:
>
> Has anyone been having any problems getting the BLAST library to work
> properly? With Tim's fix yesterday, I can now get libBlast.so to link
> properly and I can get s.C to run. However, it should be noted that s.C
> does not call on TBLRecon.cc, TBLMagField.cc, or TBLSimTrack.cc. When I
> try to run my own analysis program which does call these classes, I am
> kicked out of root entirely.
>
> I think the problem might lie in TBLRecon::Initialize or
> TBLSimTrack::Initialize. However, I don't think either of these have been
> modified in CVS recently. However, when I comment out a call to
> TBLSimTrack::Initialize (which is located inside of TBLRecon::Initialize),
> I can get my program to "work" (i.e. not get kicked out of root).
>
> Has anyone else noticed this? The member function TBLSimTrack::Initialize
> is a very short function (only about 10 lines, including comments). I
> can't find any errors with it, but I don't understand classes very well,
> either.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Aaron

 Timothy Paul Smith                               Research Scientist
 MIT Bates Lab                                     tim_smith@mit.edu
 21 Manning Rd.                                 tel:  (617) 253-9207
 Middleton, MA 01949                            fax:  (617) 253-9599