a possible error in GEANT's density of mylar

From: Aaron Joseph Maschinot (ajmasch@MIT.EDU)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 14:20:56 EST

Hello, everyone:

I doubt that anyone has had much cause to use the GEANT mylar medium in
their geometry files. However, if such case arises (as it has for me in
worrying about the entrance and exit planes of the drift chambers), I
should point out a potential error inside of blast_init.f.

Inside of this file, the material, mylar, is defined. According to what
is defined in this file, mylar has a density of 0.035g/cm^3. However,
according to the Particle Data Handbook, mylar has a density of
1.39g/cm^3.

Someone more knowledgable than I might want to check this out, and, if
necessary, submit the correct density to cvs.

I have checked most of the other mixture material values in blast_init.f
(e.g. the densities of scintillator, freon, and aerogel) , and they
seem to be correct.

Thanks,

Aaron