Re: [BLASTTALK] BLAST mailing lists - time for a change ?

From: Douglas Hasell (hasell@MIT.EDU)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 20:34:45 EDT

I can't remember all the issues from the original discussion but at one
point we were considering running a news server that people could connect
to, set/unset notification for various groups, and simply create new groups
as needs changed, etc. For example we could have a general news service
blast - for meetings, minutes, general announcements and then component
groups like blast.wirechamber, blast.tof, etc for component specific
topics, then blast.montecarlo, blast.analysis, or more generally
blast.software. For shift reports there could be a blast.shift.

        The advantage of blasttalk is that it is searchable and so long as
people are good about writing descriptive subject fields this is quite
useful. Similar things can be done with news servers and following threads.

--On Friday, August 2, 2002 6:02 PM -0400 Tancredi Botto
<tancredi@mitlns.mit.edu> wrote:

> Dear collaborators,
>
> like many others taking numerous shift I've been conscious of the large
> volume of email exchange since the commissioning run has started.
> Although subscription to BlastTalk is voluntary, not everybody may be
> interested in all the details of the run.
> This list was originally meant by Tim Smith to be a software
> oriented problem-solving list. We do need this functionality, including
> now discussion about the real data analysis. However, on good days we
> may average 3-5 mails a day + 3 summaries, which can be just too much
> for people off site. Also, it becomes more difficult to sort out the
> information you want.
>
> Therefore I am going to make the following suggestions:
>
> _ Keep BlastTalk as a global mailing list (on site, off site). Only
> general-interest messages should be posted (meetings, results). If you
> are happy with this, you do not need to unsubscribe. No action needed!
> I believe call for shifts should stay in the existing mailing list, as
> it was done so far.
>

> _ Start a Blast-local mailing list. J. Calarco has been kind enough to
> provide me with a list of a core group of people (students, principals)
> so this list can already start off on monday mantaining focus on
> software and analysis (the name BlastBug is only half-good...)
>

> _ The run summaries should be posted to another list and automatically
> on the web, with a link from the Blast home page. As an option we can
> stop the predictable e-mail clutter here as you already know that each
> day there has been a shift and a summary was automatically posted on
> the web. In the future this list may enjoy a smooth transition towards
> the E-logbook which will produce a samilar net result (no email)
>

> I hope to collect your comments and suggestions soon, so that we can move
> quickly on this next week. I hope this is the best way to keep
> everybody's interest awake and better organize the flow of information.
>

> Kind regards,
> -- tancredi

> _______ Tancredi Botto, phone: +1-617-253-9204 fax: +1-617-253-9599
> research scientist MIT/Bates, 21 Manning Av Middleton MA, 01949
> ^^^^^^^

                                                  Cheers,
                                                          Douglas

26-415 M.I.T. Tel: +1 617 258 7199
77 Massachusetts Avenue Fax: +1 617 258 5440
Cambridge, MA 02139 E-mail: hasell@mit.edu