[BLAST_ANAWARE] discussion of today's meeting 8-28-02 (continued)

From: Tancredi Botto (tancredi@mitlns.mit.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 00:03:05 EDT

Hello..

Since I had nop beam I've looked at the "double peak" issue as a function
of beam current. Unfortunately the ca_Server was dead during the field on
runs.. so we have to prevent this from happening to often (to first order,
we should added it to the setup script, at least it will be restarted
every run although it may still hang during a run). We should be aware of
this issue.

Other than this, it is also true that the "double" peaks are much more
prominent with field on, so the speculation that these could be
random moellers becomes more realistic (since the field was for
outbenders..). We should also look at some single arm data (or keep it in
the data stream, prescaled). Unfortunately a good singles monitor is not
implemented yet. Again another thing we can play with this coming week.

Attached is my macro show_p.C which I used for a number of the plots
we've discussed. Nothing fancy, take it to be version 1.0. But it shows
you what kind of functionality could be useful in the future. You could
change cuts, could plot different things (that is still best to have
in separate amcros but I was lazy then), print out some orientative
statistics. Albeit at the cost of editing and re-editng the same file..

Note that I had to work around scRecon since I want only a super-clean
event, 1 hit L and 1 hit R only.

Summarizing today's discussion: in version 0.1 or 0.2 (which-ever comes
first) we'll add

_ cuts with the cut classes (saves a lot of the ugly ifs, typing)
_ super-position of the golden or reference run

thanks of course to the efforts of chi and chris.
I then suggest that in version 1.0 we read ntuple files (I'll work
away at the cron job). In version 1.1 we could actually pass on the
cut definition from the command line. That would be plenty of features
and frankly more could just make things more difficult

One other thing we didn't discuss is that we really need to print out
the filename, possibly also the date, on all plots (!). Any ideas anybody ?
I am eager to learn new things.

thanks!
-- tancredi

Tancredi Botto, phone: +1-617-253-9204 mobile: +1-978-490-4124
research scientist MIT/Bates, 21 Manning Av Middleton MA, 01949